Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Pope Relaxes Rules on Gays - Calls for loving all families - What do you think?

Pope Francis released the Amoris Laetitia (Latin for The Joy of Love) Friday, a document that urges the Catholic Church to be more inclusive of non-traditional families. He still said gay marriage was in no way similar to straight unions.  What do you think?

Tagged:

Comments

A controversial topic indeed. I beg to disagree in light of the Bible. Marriage, I believe, is a man-woman union, and gay marriage is a sin. 
    But, I like the saying, "Love the sinner, hate the sin. "  
    We have no right to treat them with contempt, nor treat anybody at all with contempt for we are all sinners and we are no different to anybody in the eyes of God. Hence, we should love, pray and have compassion for one another.
    I think that trying to fight the laws that Man creates is a waste of time and it only manages to antagonize a part of the population, the only thing that should never be tolerated is for any state to actually force the Church to perform same sex marriages, that would warrant some strong action to oppose such a thing but I don't see a state becoming so totalitarian to even try to impose something like that.
    I think the Church has a right to oppose gay marriage within the church, but not within society.  Because "marriage" is not only a union for love, but also for legal rights.  Gay people exist, they love each other, they want to be married, and they have a right to do so, in the sense that they should have the same rights as heterosexuals, especially when their union leads to being able to be put on each others healthcare, have right to each others property, be able to make decisions for each other in legal, financial, and personal matters, etc. 
    For me, there is a big difference in being gay and homosexuality. A gay is a person, a human that God had created but I don't think homosexuality is okay with God as what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah. And with the same sex marriage? That means you are tolerating homosexuality because the Bible is clear that woman is for man and vice versa. Is there a verse in the Bible that says a marriage between 2 men or between 2 women is okay?
    spence88
    Perfect Corzhens. Exactly. The Bible condemns homosexuals and homosexuality (I Corinthians 6:9 and Revelations 21:8). It's absolutely clear. 

Your statement also perfectly explains a sentence on my previous post: "Love the sinner, hate the sin". Gays are sinners - but we all are sinners, we're no different. So we cannot and we have no right to condemn them to hell. BUT it's the sin that we must not tolerate, the actions that gays do - homosexuality. 
    The Catholic Church has always been a conciliatory religion. Pope Francis in no way condones homosexuality when he issued the Amoris Laetitia. He is merely echoing what Jesus Christ said is the second most important of the two major commandments: to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. It is the homosexual acts that makes homosexuality a sin against God's laws. A person with unnatural sexual orientation has as much right to be saved by refraining from homosexual acts.