Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

What is you most important lesson you have learnt from the bible?

I feel this is a great questions for us all to think about. As the bible teaches us so many lessons but do we know which one is the most important one you have learned so far. As I believe as much as we read the bible whether it be every day, or once a year we will never truly know everything the bible teaches. The most import lesson I have learned to date is not to judge as we don't need to judge others as god is the judge. Treat people in a way you would love to be treated regardless of who they are. I know that sometimes this can be hard but that is because we are not perfect. If Adam and Eve didn't eat the fruit from the forbidden tree then we may have been perfect but the bible teaches we are not perfect. So what are your opinions and what is your most important lesson you have learned from the bible.

Comments

Maybe it is the golden rule - do unto others what you would want others to do unto you. It is like a tit for tat but on the positive side. Whenever I would think of something bad to my neighbor, that rule comes to mind and I would stop and ponder. Then I think to myself, yeah, why would I? If they would do that to me then.... So simple to remember for an automatic reflection.
  • I guess it is not a lesson but more a tip for living. All the commandments are just something we should all live by. It is not always easy but  there are just ten of those so it is not that hard neither. Mostly I refer to those practical ones like do not steal or kill...
    For me it must be from the teachings of Jesus. "Love thy neighbor as you love yourself." Nothing else is as powerful to me as this simple teaching. I think all the teachings and laws fall under this one big umbrella of love. Many bad things would not happen if we just loved our neighbor as we love ourselves.
    For me the most interesting is "ask and it shall be given". I grew up with a lot of lack, lack of possessions, lack of love, lack of peace, etc. I already had it ingrained in me to be a good person, not because it said so in the bible, but because it would make life easier for my parents. So when I learned about "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"  it was really thought provoking to me, because I have been raised not to ask for anything. To think that the Lord, your Father, will generously provide, and want to take care of you and your needs... 
    I really like the teachings of "if someone throws a stone, throw a bread".
    I always tried to show my nice side whenever someone was mean to me, because I recognized that it is possibly not worth it.
  • Here's one:

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen….But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”

For me, the bible has taught me to be faithful and loyal to God. It has taught me to believe in what I don't see or hear or even touch. That, I think, is the greatest challenge of being a Catholic. It's being able to hold on to that belief even if people are against it or even if you cannot see the fruits of your faith. Because only when we die that we can truly see what God has in store for us.

The most important lesson I've learned from the Bible is the fact that I am a sinner and I've fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) and I need God in my life. My life cannot have meaning without God, and I in my own power, cannot save myself from eternal death (Romans 3:10-12). Whatever good works I do, there is no way to save myself (Ephesians 2:8-9). I am absolutely helpless. Only by believing in God can I be saved (Romans 5:1-11)

The whole "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.". The Bible is full of verses like that where the main idea is that should both lead and teach by example, not by words. Your actions should be the measure of your commitment to your faith, not simply saying the words, you have to walk the path.

I think this is very important and transcends into your secular life and in the way in which you relate to other people, your actions should always be a reflection of your words, not the opossite.