Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Religious Head Coverings

Have you noticed that many religious leaders or devout people in many different religions wear some sort of head covering? Do you know the symbolic or real reason that so many religions feel it is important to cover the crown of the head? 

Comments

• For Christians, the head covering is to distinguish between men and women. It is seen as a woman's submission to the male authority. For the religion Islam, the women wear hijab. And this hijab is meant to protect a woman's privacy, morality and modesty. For those in Judaism, married women wear shpitzel to be modest as well. 

I'm not sure, but is this what you're referring to? Or are you referring to the priests who have some cap on their head?
    You bring up some good examples of women's head coverings. I was more thinking of mens head coverings, like various skull caps, turbans, crowns, etc. 

I have read somewhere that some religions (Judaism?) says it is to remind you that God is above you.  Also that a righteous man should not walk a few feet with his head uncovered. And I just wonder why?  What is about the head that needs to be covered? And why do most religions choose to cover the head in someway? Is there a common thread or just random coincidence? 

• Hmmmm...I read that the bible specifically states that men should not wear head coverings in time of worship. So with regards to the priests' skull caps, I only see them wearing this in ceremonies outside the church. I think it's just merely a part of their uniform.

For the religion Judaism, it is merely to show that they are servants of God. So it's right about what you said, to remind them that God is above them.
    From my learning in the Catholic religion, the head cover is a sign of respect for God. As per the Bible, women should have a long and thick crop of hair as cover of their head. For Catholics, it is not a rule to grow the women's hair long but should be wearing a veil when inside the church. Other religions like Islam have the burqa for the women's head and the purpose is the same as Christians.
    I wear hats because it shades me from the suns UV rays.  I also look more handsome with it on.  That's what I was told anyways.  Covering your head is a way to keep the sun out of your eyes, or to catch the sweat coming off of your brow.  Religion may have taken it to new levels and made it symbolic and a part of rituals, but I think it's just silly.  
    The Pope is a Bishop, the Bishop of Rome, so he uses a Mitre, that's the name of the hat. It actually is a continuation of the Judaism Temple tradition for priests to use it, there are even different types of mitres for different occasions from the "simplex" to the "pretiosa" for the most important rites.

By the way, in the past some military uniforms have included mitres.
    Yes, so satanic men can control women in every way they possibly can over power them in the flesh because they know who is stronger in the spirit so they try every thing they can in order to beat, rape, torture or brutalize us while in the flesh because they know they are going straight to hell. These type of men are foul and descusting. They want to treat their wives like that then they can go to hell with the pope - the biggest false prophet liar of today that won't stop beating and torturing me and he is a pedophile women abusing sick beast just like all catholic men. They are foul just like men that make their women cover up. If they feel like it then they feel like it , but if a woman doesn't feel like it she is an adult and can do what she wants because women are in charge of heaven. Too bad for the loss of man who's wide refuses to lift him for his deeds. Where do you think man got his spirit from? Women could have done without your filthy flesh, but women have you their spirit and you can go to hell for all I care any more and fall to ash men for what you have done which are crimes against my spirit and your wives spirits. Maybe men should have searched out the truth better instead of hailing their own selves like Hitler. Bye bye pope!! You can never get to heaven unless a spirit that has given up on you let's you in.
    * Who's wife not wide