Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Do you observe Ash Wednesday?

Today is Ash Wednesday observed by Catholics all over the world. It is a holiday of obligation so that means Catholics should go to church for the mass which signifies the start of the lenten season. After the mass, the priest would make a sign of the cross on the forehead of the parishioners with the ashes of the burned palms which were used in the Palm Sunday of the previous year. The cross of ash signifies the reminder that we came from dust and to dust we will return. The priest adds, believe in the gospel.

Comments

Yes we observe Ash Wednesday and will go to evening mass. I really enjoy these type of structured religious practices that you carry over into your private life, it gives me something to aspire to in my personal life, and a unit of time in which to observe it. 
  • Ash Wednesday is of course part of the culture here, and it marks the start of the Lenten Season which ultimately concludes on Easter Sunday. As much as possible, I want to be able to have that cross of ash on my forehead whenever it is that time of year. However, it doesn't always end that way.I, for one feel blessed whenever I go to church and receive that mark.
  • We celebrate ash Wednesday but honestly just as a day off. All my years and I'm still unaware of the reason for this holiday. It tends to just creep up on us and deliver a welcome day off that I readily and happily accept. We should have two each year the way I love it.
  • Although we still have school and work during ash Wednesday, we still observe it. After work or during lunch break, that's when employees go to the the church. In some schools, they have a priest go there for a mass and to put the ash on students. So it's very much a part of our every year and most people here observe this special event.
    Nope.  I don't even know what that is.  Why is there some kind of ritual when you worship god?  Can't you relationship with him be on a personal level and not this bombastic public display of faith?  I just don't see the point in making it a specticle?
    You have something wrong, Ash Wednesday is not a holiday of obligation, it is a day of fasting and abstinence but not a holiday of obligation even though you are encourage to attend mass. There are only 10 specific days of obligation and all Sundays according to the Sunday Duty, the first of the Precepts of the Church. I know that, from some reason, only 6 of these days are considered of obligation in the US but Ash Wednesday is not a day of obligation according to the ritual canon.
  • Yes! As well, all holy days of obligation, Mass every Sunday, Mass several days a week, 9 hours of Adoration a week and sub many extra hours a week. So?