Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Law of Karma

Do you believe in the karmic principle that what you do today will have an effect on your next life? That's the belief of Hindus and Buddhists, I guess. But for Christians, our interpretation of the karmic law is that what you do today will have an effect on you tomorrow. So that is what the Bible said - what you sow, you reap. But there are times that no matter what goodness we do, failures and misfortunes still hit us. That gives credence to the Buddhist's concept of karma that our life now is greatly influenced by our past life.
Tagged:

Comments

Sometimes failures or misfortunes can hit us to mold us, to temper us, to teach us lessons and prepare us for what is to come. Like the story of Job, he was a good man that did nothing to deserve his misfortunes. It is possible that misfortunes come for a reason other than past life karma. 
  • The bible doesn't talk about karma in the Buddhist sense.  For instance, there is no such thing as reincarnation.  However, the actions of previous generations do hurt the offspring.  For instance, if a person was abused by a parent as a child, then he/she might abuse his/her own children.
  • I beg to differ with you Jason, I was sexually abused as a child, on numerous occasions. I've now reached the age of over 50 and I still haven't abused any children at all and doubt that I ever will. I do believe in reincarnation, even though the word itself is not used in the bible, there are many comments that point to it. Reaping what you sow is one of them. I understand that energy is ongoing, and vibrates at a certain frequency. I believe that when we die, our vibration moves on to another body that is vibrating the same as when we passed on. We then live another life and keep doing that until the day of judgement when we have no lives living on this earth any more. I am sure that when we do something, or think or speak, we are sending out a vibration that will go out and search for that which it resonates with and pulls what its found right back to us. Pagans believe that when they manipulate energy and send it out, that vibration will come back to them three times bigger than what was sent out. If you think good thoughts and appreciative thoughts, it does come back to you bigger than what you sent out. Hence Jesus saying we could move mountains. We can! If we would only just truly believe and focus our minds have the ability to really make a change in our lives.
    That is a flawed logic, in my opinion. How can you deduce that the Buddhists' karmic  belief is true when something bad happens to good people? In the first place, no one is good, except God, so how can you say that a person has been good and not deserving of bad things? There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, a misfortune can be a blessing in disguise. Sometimes, it can give way to something bigger and better. 

Besides, as far as I know, in Buddhism, if you've been bad in your past life, you're going to be born as a lower being. So following this reasoning, if you have been really bad in your past life, you will perhaps be a frog.