Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

How do you react to someone criticizing your religion?

edited February 2016 in Vatican Scandals Posts: 129
I once had met a minister of Jehovah's Witness who is always assassinating the Catholic religion. According to him, the Pope is the anti-Christ and the Catholic church is the house of the devil. I was speechless because for a good Catholic, I don't think it is wise to give decency to those nonsensical remarks. In other words, why give those statements the courtesy of my reaction. But my husband would be fighting tooth and nail. He would cite the mistakes of Jehovah's Witnesses with their Armageddon thing in 1971which they advised their members to stop going to school.

Comments

I understand when non-Christians criticize the Catholic Church, because of all the sins of man that have occurred inside of it. Some people might feel the sins of priests show the hypocrisy of the Church, however priests are just men, and although they aspire to holiness, they are not impervious to sin, as they are still men in flesh bodies. 

But I find it strange when other Christian denominations criticize Catholicism. I look at their denominations, and think, well, I don't think they have it quite right, but who am I to judge, they follow Christ, so just let them be. So I find it strange they take such ab aggressive, self righteous, angry attitude against the Catholic Church, which I find to be somewhat unchristian-like. I have even heard Baptists believe all Catholics are going hell. 
    I am very suspicious with people whose whole belief system is constructed on top of negating the believes of others. It is quite different to believe that we all are simply taking different paths to arrive at the same Truth and light that it is to be thinking that other people are not simply mistaken but downright wicked and evil.

It is human nature to hate with the most passion those things that are similar to us but no quite completely, I can't wrap my head around the fact that there is so much hate between different denominations of a faith yet there is tolerance to other faith systems.

Take a good look at yourself if hate is all you are preaching.
    I really just let people talk whatever they want in many cases. When I was younger I was a real firebrand at defending my religion and Jesus Christ. Then I read the scripture that told me not to argure with them. Now I couldn't care less what people think. I think there is more than enough room in heaven and no-one should think or teach that their religion is any better than another.
    This is bound to happen, so we just have to find a good way to deal with it. If a non-Christian attacks God or Jesus Christ or anything related to the Bible, I just listen to him and I'll say my own opinion about the matter. If he disagrees, I'll shake the dust of my feet. But if a fellow Christian believer attacks the Bible or even defends other religions, then I will definitely rebuke him in light of God's word. The Apostle Paul has done that and rebuked Peter in Galataions 2:11-14
  • We should care much about unconstructive criticism that consists of slurs. It's usually said by uncultivated people. Their worldview is pretty different and we have to acknowledge that. We shouldn't pray for them either. There's no need for that whatsoever.
    It is quite normal for other religions to criticize or challenge the Catholic Church because if they don't, then it means that the Catholic Church is the real church of God and the other religions will have no basis for existence. It is not surprising either for these other religions to take potshots at each other. Frankly, most of these religions are occult religions that are based on the premise that God had revealed himself to their leader. I am surprised that even the educated are buying into this premise.