Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

How Are Yahweh and Allah Substantially Different?

NewsMax reports that an associate-professor is being FIRED for asserting that Christians and Muslims actually worship the same God (and then for not clarifying the theology behind that statement.)

The private, evangelical Wheaton College claims she made "theological statements that seem inconsistent with Wheaton College's doctrinal convictions, which she voluntarily agreed to support and uphold when she entered into an employment agreement with the college," but NewsMax doesn't quote those statements specifically.

Associate-professor Larycia Hawkins is a Christian, but recently began wearing a hijab (head-dress commonly worn by Muslim women) to counter what she called the recent "vitriolic" rhetoric against Muslims. She told a reporter that her actions are "motivated by a desire to live out [her] faith."

So I guess I'll help her 'carry her cross' (and I hope you'll help too), and come together to reach an agreement. I don't know what context the statement was made-in, so I'm going to assume that students just walked into class one day and saw "Christians & Muslims worship the same God!" written on the board.

I imagine some students immediately 'railed against her' (at-least in their minds), "No! Yahweh gives us a way out, and Allah dooms us if he feels like it!" Who's to say Yahweh DOESN'T doom us, who's to say Allah DIDN'T send us salvation?

It reminds me that ALL religions are Buddhism---literally "following the teachings of one who knows."
Tagged:

Comments

I don't know how to explain this. My belief in God is that there is only one God and that He has a variety of personalities as interpreted by religion. Like Jesus Christ for the Catholics, He is the son of God so Jesus is also called God the Son. And the mystery of the Holy Trinity to mean there are 3 Gods in 1 which are the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, it is difficult to comprehend.

With Allah and Yahweh, they are one and the same to me. It is just the people who are giving God the color they prefer so if you are a Muslim you call Allah and if you are a Christian you pray to Yahweh or simply... to God.
    Yahweh and Allah are substantially different because Yahweh is a real God who created man while Allah is a creation of human mind. 

Islam was founded by their prophet Mohammed from the lineage of Ishmael, Abraham's son by Hagar. This is what God has to say to Hagar through an angel regarding Ishmael:

Genesis 16:11-12

11 And
    the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and
    shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath
    heard thy affliction.

12 And
    he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand
    against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

God never said that he will raise a new church through Ishmael. Very clearly, it was said that Ishmael will be a wild man fighting against every man and every man fighting against him and he will be with his kind, not with God's children.

So please, Yahweh is not Allah.

I have come to think that it is all the same, and it makes it harder to harder to think about people fighting over it.  I know that there is probably more to it than that, but trying to understand it all just makes my head spin.