Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Is this right?

God said that through prayer you are heard and after confession you are forgiven. Why are Catholics confessing their sins to the priests instead of confessing them to God through prayers? I really want to know.
Tagged:

Comments

Confession is a traditional means of getting washed off of your sins the Catholic way. I don't think it matters much to whom you confess whether to the priest or to a wall as long as your mind is focused on God, that your sins would be heard by God and be forgiven by God. The act of the priest for the contrition is only ceremonial to add inspiration to the sinner. Now, if you will confess straight to God by praying alone or even in the beach or in the forest then it is just the same because I believe that confession should come from the heart.
  • @Corzhens. You must admit that it's against the bible. There is no place in the bible where we find an incident of a person confessing his/her sins to another person so that he can take them to the almighty.
    @ellyjude, I am sorry to say that I do not involve myself in any discussion with the Bible as the basis because it is plain and simple that no discussion has been settled by the Bible. In fact, a Bible discussion is the cause why there are so many Christian sects. Those denominations started by the protestants are all breakaway groups from the Catholic. So I will admit that confessing to a person is not in the Bible but it is not against the Bible unless it is clearly stated that it is not allowed.
    I believe the following verses make the case for confession to a priest, because as Catholics, we believe that this power was passed on through the apostles, and did not end with the apostles' commission. 

John 20:21-23:

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

I wish all those who argue against Catholic confession could feel the same blessed peace that I have felt after hearing the words of absolution spoken over my head.