Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

What Makes Jesus Different than Any of Us?

I mean; I don't claim that He didn't go through the Passion out of love for His Disciples and Followers, but why couldn't anyone else have in the thousand of years BEFORE Him?

Even He admitted He wasn't 'more than anybody else,' with His "as you do unto the least of these my brethren, so you do also unto me."

The only difference I see: we all lift Him ... we don't exactly 'shove-down' anyone else who's lifting Him with us, but I don't know if anyone will lift them without 'the goal of lifting Him higher' in mind!

Just like many don't lift Him without Our Father (or Our Salvation/Ticket-to-Heaven) in mind.
B-)

'That Glory' is our "sacrifice" to atone for our sins. Whether you think of 'sin' as "breaking one of the many-many rules" or simply as "not being good enough to fulfill the Kingdom of God by ourselves," our "sacrifice of praise" sort of 'pays' for that by 'fulfilling the Law' and thus 'moving us to a higher set-of-conditions' ... like how "schooling" gains you possible-access to 'higher schooling.'

Agree? Disagree? Inspiration? Thoughts? ( :)) Other random words with question-marks?)
Tagged:

Comments

We haven't met Jesus and we can only rely on what was written in the Bible's new testament books. As the Catholic see Him as the son of God then just that makes Him different from us humans. Being a lesser mortal is already a quality that makes Jesus stand above us all.
    Jesus is both human and divine. He is the Son of God and we are brothers and sisters in Christ. He believes in the concept of love, humility and praise but most of all he believes in the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth. He is different because he comes from a place of difference-- Heaven. We are mortals born and bred on this earth whose only hope is to rise to a better place/person.
  • @rabst I truly love your point that even Jesus said he wasn't different from any of us. I think what made him different was that he was proof that we got the concept of divinity wrong. We were taught many things that were not true and only for the reason of controlling the masses. We were taught to pray up, but god is all around us. We were taught not to ask God and pastors certain questions, but God really wants us to have conversation and communion with him. Jesus was different because he showed that divinity is not meant to be exalted from a holy distant. Instead, it should be embraced and held close in the true, loving relationship God wants.
    rabst
    Thanked by 1rabst
    Corzhens
    We haven't met Jesus and we can only rely on what was written in the Bible's new testament books. As the Catholic see Him as the son of God then just that makes Him different from us humans. Being a lesser mortal is already a quality that makes Jesus stand above us all. Apollo Jesus is both human and divine. He is the Son of God and we are brothers and sisters in Christ. He believes in the concept of love, humility and praise but most of all he believes in the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth. He is different because he comes from a place of difference-- Heaven. We are mortals born and bred on this earth whose only hope is to rise to a better place/person.

This is what I hate about Christianity—the beliefs they have which are totally disconnected from reality. What Christianity is truly saying is 'I am as divine as Christ was (while He walked the Earth).' (If that's NOT what they're saying, then Jesus Christ
    failed and we make up these stories to "cover for Him.")

Then all 'His glory' (the popularity for being Anointed) is imputed to us---like the stardom of a pop-singer to his/her parents. Though you KNOW all that the parents did was keep their child healthy & encouraged---the child supplies the most-crucial effort (just like we Christians do, with Jesus merely the Shepherd).

Jesus WAS NOT fully-human and fully-divine EXCEPT IN THE SAME WAY WE EACH ARE (who traditionally die and go back into the ground, though all our 'true friends' CLAIM that we ascend into Heaven from thence). That's the only way He is a suitable sacrifice for us.
  •    So we are assuming Jesus was a man touched by God and we assume this because we read it from the bible. I am not an atheist and open my mind to everything but it seems a bit fiction like, some thing in the Bible. Did anyone though or did it occur to you that it was all just written for purpose and pimped a bit. It is not very smart to believe in a book. Again, I am not saying you shouldn't believe God exist but maybe we should rely on our own feelings on this one more than on some book that was written a long time ago. Maybe Jesus was just another man or even invented character to make religion be adopted easier. I have a lot of theories when I drink a bit as I have done right now so I will just stop here.
    rabst
    This is where I side with St. Thomas, the disciple who "wouldn't believe what the other disciples told him about Jesus' resurrection until he saw Him in person and felt His death-scars." You could say I had kind of the same reaction (updated a few thousand years): 'I'll believe Jesus paid for my sinful nature when I die but don't perish!' I did die (hit by a car) and--thanks to the same power that brought Jesus back--am now alive. But I'm very cursed ... no, nothing "eternal"; but life is hard, sometimes---harder for me than I hope it is for anybody (though I know some have it harder).

Here is a reference to the divinity of Jesus in the book of John:

John
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God

That Jesus is also God makes him different from the rest of us.

There are many books in the Old Testament that has references to Jesus. His birth, life, and death were foretold in these books and he was born a man to fulfill God's promise of salvation.