Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

The cross is not a good symbol

Come to think of it, why do Catholics use the cross as the symbol of Jesus Christ? Why not the manger when he was born? It is like commemorating a hero when he was in the firing squad. Isn't it nice to remember someone during his good times? From my recollection of history, the cross is a big embarrassment because it is reserved for criminals particularly those who have committed heinous crimes. So with the cross, we are like proclaiming that Jesus was a criminal, no matter if it was only an accusation but the cross had said he was a criminal.
Tagged:

Comments

• For me the cross is a good sign of Christianity. It makes me remember the suffering that we do pass through. It is like any other art work you have in your house, it makes you remember something related to it. People think that we do worship the cross, which is not true. It just symbolises Christianity and what we believe in.
    That's not what it means. We do not commemorate Jesus as a criminal we commemorate his sacrifice on the cross you've got it all wrong. We celebrate Jesus being human and divine on the day of his death as well as his resurrection. The cross is a perfect symbol of unconditional love and sacrifice.
  • The cross is reduced only to cross but it should be a cross with Christ on it. It is a symbol of sacrifice and Christ's passion. I like symbols but I think of them just what they are, symbols. They symbolize and do nothing else so making a deity out of it is a bit silly.
    From my experience the cross is a prayer in itself. It is a spiritually charged symbol that can not be replaced. Jesus's blood is pivtal in our own salvation. So we can not dismiss how Christ's blood was shed in teh first place. Salvation for us was not paid for by Mary giving birth to The Christ. Salvation was confirmed upon the cross. "It is finished."- KJV John 19:30
    From my experience as a someone who prays often, the cross is a prayer within itself. It is spiritually charged, I feel "The Holy Spirit," just from meditating upon it in silence. Who is to say that without the emotional and dreadful event that took place on Golgotha, that the cross would still effective represent Christ's message today. This symbol, no matter how heartbreaking the events it represents happen to be, can not be replaced. Jesus's blood is pivotal in our own salvation. So we can not dismiss how Christ's blood was shed. Salvation for us was not paid by Mary's immaculate conception alone, but by the fulfilling of God's Laws by Christ. Salvation was confirmed upon the cross. "It is finished."- KJV John 19:30