Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Pope Francis declares War on Christmas: The holiday will be a “charade” this year

What does anybody think about this:

In a speech late last week, Pope Francis came as close to cancelling Christmas as a pope likely ever has, calling the holiday a “charade” when “the whole world is at war,” as he currently believes it to be.

“We are close to Christmas,” he said. “There will be lights, there will be parties, bright trees, even Nativity scenes – all decked out – while the world continues to wage war.”

“What shall remain in the wake of this war, in the midst of which we are living now?” the pontiff asked. “Ruins, thousands of children without education, so many innocent victims, and lots of money in the pockets of arms dealers.”

The pope claimed that this state of constant war means that Christmas festivities are “all a charade. The world has not understood the way of peace. The whole world is at war.”

“War can be justified, so to speak, with many, many reasons, but when all the world as it is today, at war, piecemeal though that war may be — a little here, a little there — there is no justification.”

“God weeps,” the pope concluded, “Jesus weeps,” for those whose sole purpose on this planet is to wage war, but who cynically deny that that’s their intent.
Tagged:

Comments

There never was a time when there was no war in some parts of the world. In other words, war will always be here and if we think of commiserating with those people in war torn places then we would be commiserating all our life. As they say, life is short so why not enjoy it. When you have money and you want something for yourself that you can afford, would you buy that something or would you just donate your money to the poor? Even Jesus had said that the poor will always be there, think while you still have Him. In the same vein, think while you still have life, while you still have peace, while you still have the resources.
  • The attack is France made us celebrate this Christmas season differently, with fear of terror attacks. This has been different from other years which were peaceful. I think we should avoid going to public places like it used to be. For me I don't plan to travel a lot. I will try and follow any proceedings on TV.
    The Pope is right. I did not feel as if Christmas was even celebrated this year. Obama was telling us that we need to take Christ out of Christmas so that we did not offend muslims. There was an emergence of movies that posed the idea of a satanic entity by the name of crampus coming to murder families instead of St. Nick.  Commercial America was told to do away with the nativity scenes and any reference to Christ our Lord being the reason that we even celebrate this holiday. We mustn't let these fools take Jesus and his Spirit of Peace, Joy and Love out of the mainstream. We must make it known that He is our reason and He should forever be first in our hearts. Our culture is a Christian culture, let's not let anyone take that away.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I celebrated and contemplated the mystery of the Incarnation of God this Christmas. I will do so every Christmas, in spite of war, famine and all the evil in the world. There will always be wars are rumors of wars. 

I have also made every effort to decommercialize my celebration of this holy day. 

I felt sorry for the Pope when I read this statement. If he really feels that way, I can only assume that I need to pray for him, as he has asked us to do many times.