Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

The Bible? How could the authors have missed the Great Pyramid of Egypt?

This article taken from a LinkedIn commentary. Does anyone have an answer???: 

Historians and scientist agree that the great pyramid of Egypt and other pyramids are at least several thousand years old.  Even by today’s standards the great pyramid of Egypt itself is a wonder of the world. Several years ago a Japanese group tried to build a 1/3 scale model without success and so if today with all the modern technology we have at hand and we cannot build a copy;  imagine at the time of Moses how the populous must have held the great pyramid in awe.

The bible Book of Exodus records that Moses was born in an era when the Children of Israel, were multiplying in numbers and the Pharaoh of Egypt thought they might help Egypt's enemies. Jochebed, Moses mother hides him when the Pharaoh ordered all newborn Hebrew boys to be put to death. Moses is adopted by the Egyptian royal family. However after killing an Egyptian slave-master, Moses flees across the Red Sea to Midian where according to the bible he meets the God of Israel in the form of the "burning bush".  Moses requests the Pharaoh release the Israelites, but it takes ten plagues in Egypt before Moses can lead the Exodus of the Israelites out of Egypt and across the Red Sea, after which they camp put at Mount Sinai, where Moses receives the Ten Commandments.

The Old Testament of the bible provides us with a record of the flight of the Israelites from Egypt. The Old Testament contains 593, 493 words so one would think that in those half million or so words the authors would at least have mentioned in passing the tallest building in the world until the 20th century, the great pyramid.   You could hardly miss it!

Such an omission of detail about Egypt in the Old Testament leads one to wonder as when it was written and by whom.  Because the great pyramid was standing at the time of Christ and does not get a mention in either the old or new testaments one has to wonder who wrote the bible.  According to the bible, we are told that Joseph and Mary took the baby Jesus into Egypt shortly after his birth to protect him from the wrath of King Herod, who would have had him killed. The Bible places Jesus in Egypt and he is not seen again until he is about 9 or 10 when the rabbis in Jerusalem marvel at his knowledge. One would think that even at that age Jesus would have known about the great pyramid and there would have been some passing reference to it even in the New Testament.

History records that in 600 BC the Greek mathematician Thales measured the height of the great pyramid of Egypt by comparing the height of its shadow to the height of his staff. So if six hundred years before Christ the Greeks, who were separated from Egypt by a sea, were able to travel there and marvel at the wonder of the great pyramid then why is it that the authors of the old and new testaments don’t even give the great pyramid a mention?

Does anyone have an answer?

Comments

• I apologize if this sounds unorthodox, but the Pyramids might not be mentioned in the Bible, because although the Bible is a holy book, it is simply not a historical book. You can find history in it, but when you study theology, you start to notice that many times it is neither in chronological order. It is also a possibility that the writers of the Bible never saw a pyramid, that they indeed see pyramids but  maybe were unimportant to them, or they took away from the message that the writers wanted to get across to the readers.
  • I am going to second Michelle on this one. The Bible doesn't mention a lot of our history throughout the years. There are so many things we could come up with and question, but at the end of the day the Bible is the word of God.
    Well, it was stated in the Bible that the Hebrews were slaves who worked hard for the Egyptians.  Exactly what were they working on.  Maybe heavy labor in the fields, but also maybe working on the Pyramids.  That's just a thought, so if that were the case when Moses freed the Hebrews and they left Egypt it could of been before the structures were done.  These events were thousands of years ago as well, so maybe these took place along the time that the pyramids were being constructed.  Again I am just guessing because well I wasn't actually there, LOL, but I think the previous comments were also good.  The bible is a collection of stories not something about history in general.
  • ^^ This is an excellent response. I never thought about the Hebrew slaves working hard for the Egyptians.You're right, this could have easily been the pyramids they were working on. Although you are just guessing, it's really not a bad guess at all. It makes a lot of sense. 
  • I like the answer @paf_2 also. I looked at this thread a few times and I dared not answer because I was kind of puzzled at a very good question. I also think the bible is a history book, but not necessarily general history so everything will not be in it. Good going paf_2. I can really accept this one.
  • I felt the same way as you did. I was a bit puzzled as to how to comment because there was such a great point made. Paf_2 hit the nail on the head and put things into perspective for me. 
    This thread is a good one for pondering. This makes one think and also asks the question why so. So that issue of not mentioning the pyramid in the accounts of Egypt simply means that Moses was born during the time when the pyramid was not there yet. Historians have their scientific chronological proof but the Bible has none. In other words, the Bible's dates may have a mix up particularly in the old testament.