Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

On Euthanasia

edited November 2015 in Birth Control & Right to Life Issues Posts: 14
Playing God is a deliberate act of defiance to God's commandments. Given that He is the only one with authority to take our lives, do you think ending a person's suffering is a valid reason for euthanasia? 
Tagged:

Comments

• It's not a valid reason to take someone's life. It opens the door for all sorts of possibilities. The society is just morally depraved and getting worse. It's to be expected in these end times of a godless nation.
  • My take on Euthanasia is that it depends, why do we have to prolong the suffering of someone who is dying? Isn't God about mercy? Why not use this as an act of mercy? It is about playing God. Only God can grant life and take it, I agree there, but I don't think using medications to lighten their pain and ease them as they make their way into the afterlife a sin. Especially, if it was an act of sympathy and mercy. I think both the Pope and God Himself will understand.
    I agree with lamanlupa. I do not see the point of not ending the suffering of someone who is already on his or her deathbed. My personal take on the issue of euthanasia is that as long as the dying person gives his or her consent, mercy killing is acceptable.
  • How is euthanasia or mercifully putting a person (or pet) out of their "pain" any different than ending the life of an unborn human through abortion? Life should be respected through all stages and natural death is one of those stages. There is a lot of God's grace during the dying process. I've been honored to be present as three of my pets took their final breath on God's time. It was a moment filled with much emotion. The sadness of losing someone I loved. Anxiousness and hope that they weren't feeling any pain. Comfort in the quiet dying process knowing they were at peace, they weren't in any pain, and they were sharing their final moments of life with me. (They each cried out to find me to say good-bye before the dying process began.) Then at the moment the angels arrived, and the last breath was taken, tears began to flow. Not tears of sadness but, tears of joy because I struggled through God's timing and honored His will and not my own.
    For me euthanasia isn't a cut and dry subject.  I know first hand what it's like to watch someone you love suffer during the end of their life.  Yes, this person did die naturally without assistance of any kind but that wasn't easy to watch by any means.  The thing is could I have understood if this person or someone else who was in just as much pain wanted to end their lives to be put out of their misery, to be honest I believe I could.  This is why I can't fault those who are terminal and in a great deal of pain for taking their own life.  Lets think about this don't we euthanize animals who are suffering, yet we expect human beings to endure the pain and suffering that at times can be unbearable, I don't know if I can completely get behind that.
  • I'm completely behind euthanasia. I was raised to believe that God has a plan for each and every one of us and knows our path prior to it even happening. If we make the choice to end someone's life so they can let go without suffering, I'm sure he saw it coming. I don't see the point in watching someone suffer and fight for their lives, I'd rather someone put me out of my misery. 

@Paf_2 makes a great point. We have absolutely no problem putting an animal out of it's misery, but heaven forbid it's our own kind.
  • @Splinter "Do you think ending a person's suffering is a valid reason for euthanasia?"

I would ask, what's the validation for someone to continue to suffer? I think euthanasia has its place. Should people stricken with disease and excruciating pain, with no hope of recovery, be allowed to suffer for many years until death simply walks in and says, "Okay, I've had enough fun with you."? Is God in anyway forgiving enough to understand why that person would want to give up their life because of how unbearable it has become?

The real problem with euthanasia is how widespread it can become and how vague the reasons mankind will conjure up just to make taking a life the norm, and that's when it becomes unacceptable. But it really has a place.
    My mother was hit by a debilitating stroke more than 4 years ago that resulted in half of her body paralyzed and she had also lost her speech power. We communicate to her by talking since she can still hear and she answers in hand gestures and facial expressions. Sometimes we wonder is she still have the sense of taste for the food given her. She is diabetic so she has a diet to follow like oatmeal with milk but no sugar.

My mother stays in the house of my sister. We hired 2 caregivers for her needs like feeding and giving medicines, bathing and changing of diapers. She is virtually a vegetable.

My 2 siblings had agreed that if there is a way to end my mother's plight, they would be happy. In other words, there are times that we wished for my mother to die so she can take a rest.
  • @Corzhens I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother. I can relate to you in a way that I watched my grandmother that raised me go through hell while battling cancer. There were times that I wished to watch her be put to sleep, peacefully. I think that if she had that option, she would have taken it. It's so hard to watch the one you love suffer, when we know what their ultimate fate is.

• It is a very sensitive topic i think. I understand that catholic church is against it and i see their point of view because if not a lot of questions would be asked and many religious people would feel confused about their beliefs. But on the other hand we learn that god is merciful and that everything happens according to a plan. I do not see how someone suffering is doing good for anyone but again i could not know because know about martyrs and people who suffers for the greater cause. Still, we do live in a free society and if someone had decided previously to do this there is nothing anyone could do. As i said it is a hard and sensitive topic.
  • I think that the idea of euthanasia is very reasonable but no matter how valid it is in the law made by us humans, it is morally wrong. I think, we have absolutely no right to end the life of another whether he or she is weak and dying or not. It is but the will and the right of God to take the life of one if He so wishes it. I believe that the best way for us to help a sick or weak family member or friend is to pray and do all things possible to prolong his/her life.
  • God gives life and God takes. No man should determine for you when to die and when to live. I don't support euthanasia at all. Some people have gotten healed due to miracles so why not leave the sick find their own miracles instead of shortening their lives.
    Well there is active euthanasia and passive euthanasia. I think it is very easy for anyone to argue against active euthanasia, where a person is killed to be put out of their misery. You have to actively do something to end the person's life, and it is easy to argue how that would be wrong.

What is more ethically challenging is passive euthanasia. This is where a person is being kept alive by medical supports. In passive euthanasia, the medical supports are taken away, which results in the person naturally dying. Is it morally wrong to stop medical treatment and let nature take it's course? Or should we be using all the miracles of medicine to their full extent to try and prolong and heal people? 

It is a lot easier to make a decision on euthanasia when it involves a suffering pet. When it comes to a human life, however, I don't think that it is morally right to administer a drug that will end a person's life. That would be assisted suicide, in my opinion.

What @Simona brought up about passive euthanasia is interesting. For me, if we're talking about a brain dead person who has no chance of recovering or living a life with some normalcy, I think it will only be fair to cut off the medical supports at a certain point and let nature take its course. 
    This has always been an interesting topic for me, and it immediately reminded me of the movie about Kevorkian for some reason.  At a certain point I think that there is an argument for both sides, and I am really pretty open on this one.