Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Judging Myself: Do You Judge 'the Whole' by 'the First Part'?

From a disagreement today (which I won't retell), I learned that many people will (including myself). With me, it's the statements of "Christians who claim that The Holy Bible is 'the complete Word of God'"---when a Christian uses the term 'the Word of God' to describe 'The Holy Bible' (saying "the Word of God says (chapter:verse)"), I'll disregard the rest of the statement and start tearing into it with 'the Truth that the True Word of God is the actual existence of things and -that the word they're reading/claiming is actually just the inspiration of "prophets" (literally "they who speak for God").'

But doing that (whether it's true or not) totally shuts my mind to the fact that their conclusion might be good!

I see it often when I'm commenting on an argument/discussion between 'different types of believers.' For instance, I started a discussion on one 'truth of God'; and--rather than discuss any of the facts/conclusions I had written--a 'believer' just parroted a bunch of almost-irrelevant truths about 'how good God is' etc.
Tagged:

Comments

• What's the big deal about calling it the word of God? It IS, in fact, the word of God. It's not inspiration of prophets, the Holy Ghost wrote the bible. (2 Peter 1:21,  2 Timothy:16-17).
    rabst
  • In my opinion, the Word of God is the life of Jesus. He became flesh to teach us how to love one another. Quoting the bible is impressive but, what good does parroting words written so long ago do if you aren't living those words in your life no matter whose words they are? The Bible is an inspired collection of books telling the story of our relationship with God and each other. Many of these stories are metaphors meant to expand our views and understanding to life's situations. I wouldn't get too caught up in the semantics of calling the Bible the Word of God. I feel it is through reading and hearing the words written in the Bible that God speaks to our hearts making the words of the Bible His words. 
    rabst
    What's the big deal about calling it the word of God? It IS, in fact, the word of God. It's not inspiration of prophets, the Holy Ghost wrote the bible. (2 Peter 1:21,  2 Timothy:16-17).
    The big deal is that EVERYTHING is the Word of God---current events MORE-SO than 'history or myth' or whatever the Bible is. If you need The Bible to tell you that, go to where God tells Moses what to tell the people his name is.