Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Missions of the Catholic Church

Many churches have various missions (sometimes called societies) within their structure that are set in place to reach out in various ways. Some are to share the word, some to help the elderly, the infirm, and others are to help those in financial need. Missions don't have to involve travel to foreign lands. There are plenty of people everywhere with different types of needs. What missions of the Catholic Church are you familiar with? Have you ever participated in these missions, whether as a volunteer, organizer, recipient, etc.? 

One I've encountered is the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. It's an organization within the Catholic Church that provides outreach to those in need, whether the need be food, financial assistance, furniture, toiletries, etc. I've been on both the giving and receiving ends of their mission, and I think they do a good job, and make a positive difference in the lives of many people. Here's a link to their website, in case anyone would like to learn more. https://www.svdpusa.org/

Are you familiar with this or another mission/society within the Catholic Church? Share your experience here, to educate others, and maybe a seed will be planted.

Comments

• There are many but they're misguided.
  • My experiences in missions have been with St. John Baptist de la Salle Church in Puerto Rico. In some of the missions I worked with were helping the elderly, helping single mothers, and creating food drives and clothing drives for the poor. It was a very heart-warming and rewarding experience. It brought tears to my eyes the joy of being able to help others. Truly amazing experiences.
    CatholicChick
  • That sounds like a great experience, @MichelleVL. I'm so thankful that we have mission/groups/societies that feel it's important to do for others. The need appears to be growing, and I truly hope that people who see others reaching out will feel inspired to do the same, to meet the need. 
    We don't have such societies where I live, but the church has generally help lift the living standards of many. The Catholic Church here, has built schools and constructed roads. I recently attended a fundraising aimed to raised money to build a missionary school. I hope the Catholic Church is on the right track.
  • Yes I am familiar with the charitable work of the Church and am actually a member once of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul but am not active anymore and I also know of other missionary societies that to tend to do service to our unfortunate brothers and sisters and all the needy people in the world and these organizations operate in many countries around the world in order to bring hope, love and joy to far and seldom reached places in the world. It is good to know that these organizations exist and are willing to help people around the world who are in dire need of their help and aid.  
  • I am familiar with the missions, though I've never gone to one myself. We have a few missions in the city that I live, but they are no longer used as a place of worship. Most of the missions in my city are now used as hotels, which kind of baffles me. You'd think they would want to keep the history of the building, but they use them for placed for people to room and board. 
    There are lots of Catholic missionary groups here but I am not well versed with their specific missions. One group called Brothers of Charity which has their Philippine headquarters in Baguio City has the handicapped for their main concern. They have programs specifically designed to alleviate the plight of the disabled so they can be beneficial to society. Those brothers are like priest with their vows of chastity, poverty and charity.
  • They can do many missions and good works just like atheists, but if they aren't truly saved, it will mean nothing. If they are praying to dead people and relying on their religion instead of fully trusting in Christ, it will all be in vain and go up in smoke. It's wasted breath on the broad way to destruction.