Pope Francis Forum on Facebook Pope Francis Forum on Google Plus Pope Francis Forum on Twitter

Greetings Vatican Issues Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Do You Know the Difference between "Spirit" & "Soul"?

I am frequently annoyed by Christians who talk about their Souls like their 'internal organs between the heart & stomach.' And about their Spirits as if the 'spirit' is another type of blood-cell (red to carry nourishment, white to carry immunity-antibodies, and spirit to carry ... the grace o` God).

I'm sorry to have wasted time stating the wrong things (God forgives me when YOU do), but it's to show you how silly they are! Especially when Genesis 2:7 spells it out simply: "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (built his body), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (spirit); and man became a living soul." ... that the 'soul' is 'the spirit/body combination.'

But some confusion arises when I scroll-down in the English/Latin inter-translation, and I see that the words for 'living soul' are so-similar to the words for "living creature."

But still ... Do you see the difference between 'spirit' & ' soul'?

Comments

• Very nice insight on the topic which is very much true. Spirit is indeed the life breathed for man to live and the soul is the body with life in it.
    rabst
    Thanked by 1rabst
  • Mankind is composed of three things: body, spirit and soul. The body is purely physical and will die someday. The spirit is the mind or the breath of life, it lives on in one place or another, heaven or hell. And the soul lives on beyond the grave, if it believes in the Holy Spirit.
  • This is a very good analogy and one I agree with.  No one is ever going to convince me that there is no spirit in the human body.  I have seen individuals when they are alive and I have seen them after death.  After death it's like looking at an empty shell.  In other words, the spirit that gave them life is no longer a part of the body.  So, when I hear people say that there is no such thing a the human spirit my first reaction is how much death have they seen, and for that matter actually taken the time to study.  Because if they had studied it they would know that the human spirit is quite real, and is the thing that gives the body life.
  • That's a great way to illustrate it by using Genesis. It's very simple, most of the things people wonder about are right there in the word of God for us to see. We can't lean on our own understanding. Also great points pafjlh made, the spirit gives us life, without it we are an empty shell.
    Mankind is composed of three things: body, spirit and soul. The body is purely physical and will die someday. The spirit is the mind or the breath of life, it lives on in one place or another, heaven or hell. And the soul lives on beyond the grave, if it believes in the Holy Spirit.Did you not READ the scripture quoted? that man BECAME the living soul?
    My understanding of the soul is the life itself. When the soul leaves the physical body, that's the time a person dies. About the spirit, it is the consciousness that humans have. Without the spirit, a person can be alive but with no consciousness. Our religion teacher had said that a person in coma has the soul but no spirit since he is alive but has no consciousness.
  • I really like this post. I always thought of the soul as what makes us a person. Our personality, our emotions, everything that comes with being who we are. I don't think of it as my skin and guts. When I think of spirit, I think of what gives me life. My spirit is what gives me the will to live. It's what keeps me alive.

Corzhens 
    My understanding of the soul is the life itself. When the soul leaves the physical body, that's the time a person dies. About the spirit, it is the consciousness that humans have. Without the spirit, a person can be alive but with no consciousness. Our religion teacher had said that a person in coma has the soul but no spirit since he is alive but has no consciousness. 
    And why doesn't 'where I got my idea of what the Spirit and Soul are' (The Holy Bible) just blow "teacher's idea" out of the water?
  • I am a linguist and a Serbian. This is a nice combination for your question. Well, OK, i am not a linguist yet but close to become one, on the other hand i am from Serbia which means i am of Slavic origin. if i look at this as you have done. In a pragmatic way there is no way to explain these terms, at least i do not know how to do that. I am not going to explain the meaning of these words because you know that spirit can also be alcohol. But in this case that you mentioned spirit is something non-physical, like love. You can express it but it is not an organ. You were probably talking about the spirit as something that live inside of us and after we die it goes somewhere else. That is the view of an agnostic person and i am not one because i think it shrinks our imagination. For example, we do not see magnetic waves. Now we can measure them or whatever they do with them but some time ago even that was not possible so it would be questioned by people who do not believe until they see. I think it is a part of us or just a word that we invented so we can explain the inner feeling we are talking about. As for the difference between these two soul sounds more prophetic to me but they are just synonyms. I mentioned my Slavic origin because we have something that we call A Slavic soul and it is famous for the influence it has on my people. We do some things and behave like not many others do. There is a paragraph in the book called How to be an  Alien by George Mikes who was Hungarian born English writer. He explains in a funny way what a Slavic soul is. You can google it easily.
  • I wonder how many religions actually view The Spirit as one of the persons in God and the soul as a human component that basically is going throughout life just to reach salvation. 

Corzhens idea spirit resembles pretty much what I've seen some oriental religions share about the concept of soul, a huge and powerful spiritual force that resides not only in humans but also in all living things like nature and animals.

Personally I share a mix of both where perhaps the soul does define our personality, free-will and actions. Yet living things that aren't human also share a soul, maybe not as free-willed as humans, but they have it just because they do have life. 

While christian influenced religions or philosophers view the soul as mainly a virtuous thing other cultures, like the ancient greek, view the soul as mainly something filled with all human traits either good or bad. I have no idea though if they also had a "spirit" concept.

In which category do you find yourself thinking about "the soul" or spirit? 
    rabst
    Thanked by 1rabst

DavidRahn, I kinda 'took a detour' above; I was gonna say "the Spirit is like electricity & the soul is a glowing light-bulb---the body being the actual 'light-bulb,' making the 'soul' a combination of spirit & body."

That's why you don't hear about prophets seeing 'people's spirits in Hell,' but rather their Souls. The Spirit (literally "breath," which is why the popular song calls God "The Air I Breathe") doesn't have 'personality,' which arises from its interaction with the body.
    I know the difference ofcourse but from a philosophical and linguistical sense as the Bible only referred to it fully in the Book of Genesis and the New Testament when the disciples were possessed by 'tongues of fire'. Spirit is very ephemeral, like an energy. Soul on the other hand relies on concsieniousness and the politics of the human being as body and spirit. It is very confusing I suppose but I think only human beings are in possession of souls while animals and the like have spirits.
    rabst
    Thanked by 1rabst
    Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that a spirit is not a physical part of any man's body is a liar. The spirit of G-d was on the  face of the waters, and the Holy Spirit enters into us without any form of blood transfusion. the should however is spoken of within the Bible as being inside of the blood. No man can say that biology can prove for a fact what the soul is. I'd more easily accept that the spirit of a man is his higher self already in the presence of G-d than I would accept any man's scientific theory of what  a soul is. 

rabst